Saturday, December 24, 2011

Discovery of the Year - Greek Weird Wave

Even though I began keeping a "movie diary" only nine months ago (on March 28th, to be exact), I'm almost certain that I’ve seen more films (both old and new ones) this year than ever before. I feel even more confident in saying that before 2011, I had never seen a Greek film in my life. Now, Dogtooth, Attenberg and Alps are among my favorite films from 2009, 2010 and 2011, respectively. Dogtooth, which was nominated for the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar last year, is probably the most (in)famous of the three, but I'm not sure which one of them is my favorite... I guess I'll choose Dogtooth when I'm feeling especially misanthropic, Attenberg when I'm in the mood for a more soulful film, and Alps when I want something in-between.


One thing's for sure: every new Yorgos Lanthimos & Co. project will be at the top of my must-see list.

No comments:

Post a Comment