Monday, June 24, 2013

Talking Picture

I watched Adaptation. again last week and it continues to be my favorite film in the whole wide world... Well, it actually shares that honor with a handful of others: The Green Ray, My Neighbor Totoro, Safe (the Julianne Moore one, not the Jason Statham one!), Mulholland Dr., Lost in Translation... and I think it's time to add Oslo, August 31st to that list. However, I don't think there's any movie out there besides Adaptation. that manages to be so smart AND funny AND moving at the same time, and the following scene is a great example of that:


Orlean's Book: There are too many ideas and things and people, too many directions to go. I was starting to believe the reason it matters to care passionately about something is that it whittles the world down to a more manageable size.


Kaufman: Such sweet, sad insights. So true.


Kaufman: I like looking at you.


Photo of Orlean: I like looking at you too, Charlie.



Kaufman: I don’t know how to do this. I’m afraid I’ll disappoint you. You’ve written a beautiful book. I can’t sleep. I’m losing my hair. I’m fat and repulsive...


Photo of Orlean: Shhh. You’re not. You’re not.


Photo of Orlean: Just whittle it down. Focus on one thing in the story, find that one thing that you care passionately about, and then write about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment